Tuesday 8 February 2011

Witch Hazel

The Witch Hazels have been flowering for over a week now. This has to be one of my all-time favourite plants. It is the first to flower, beating even the snowdrops, and the scent is so wonderful it can stop you in your tracks.

This one is Hamamelis 'Pallida', which Emma got for me 2 or 3 years ago. Pale yellow flowers, and, the BEST scent of all of its group. It's been confined to a pot, but hasn't seemed to mind too much. My plan is to make an early flowering bed at the front of the house, with two or three of these taking the centre stage.

I got a small 'Orange Beauty' from Badger Nurseries at the weekend- a bargain at £5.49. The flowers are darker than Pallida, it's also very fragrant.
Inspired by Carol Klein and her passion for propagating plants, I took a few cuttings from 'Pallida' last year. I didn't expect them to take at all, but they are still alive, and have buds. Both of the plants that I have are grafted, so I've no idea what I will get from my cuttings! What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment